Mijn lief en sterk dochterken heeft scoliose (een scheef groeiende ruggegraat) en heeft een site (blog + forum) om lief en leed -dat verdomde korset- met jonge lotgenoten te delen. Heb je zelf scoliose of ken je tieners die dat hebben, check dan https://scolio-tieners.be/ uit!
If you have children you should read this article, really!
A very small excerpt;
Even when a seismic event—a war, a technological leap, a free concert in the mud—plays an outsize role in shaping a group of young people, no single factor ever defines a generation. Parenting styles continue to change, as do school curricula and culture, and these things matter. But the twin rise of the smartphone and social media has caused an earthquake of a magnitude we’ve not seen in a very long time, if ever. There is compelling evidence that the devices we’ve placed in young people’s hands are having profound effects on their lives—and making them seriously unhappy.
So If you have children you should really read this article!
Here’s what I did;
- make a screenshot of the node in Firefox Developer Tools -> Inspector -> select node -> click “screenshot node” in context menu
- convert the png-file into svg at http://pngtosvg.com/ result being a 6.93KB file.
- optimize the svg at http://petercollingridge.appspot.com/svg-optimiser resulting in a 3.1KB file (see above image) which remains crispy at whatever size.
- added the SVG as background image (not inline though, might do that next) and set “visibility” of the logo->a->h3 (which has the title in it as text) to “hidden”
- ticked Autoptimize’s “remove Google Fonts”-option (which also removed a slew of other unwanted requests for fonts)
(*) The site is my wife’s boeken-jagers.be which is an offspring of her successful “De Boekenjagers” Facebook group where people hide books for others to find (hunt) and share info about that. 27 000 members and counting, proud of my Veerleken!
In case you’re wondering if those Autoptimize Power-Ups are still coming and if so how they’ll look like and what they’ll do;
So some quick pointers;
- Power-Ups will be installed as separate plugins and will obviously require some sort of registration, payment and license key activation (still to be developed, will either be EDD or Freemius-based)
- Once installed, they will appear as tabs on Autoptimize’s settings page (no clutter in your menu’s!)
- You can actually see 2 Power-Up-tabs in this screenshot;
- the active one is “Noptimize” and will allow you to configure which URL’s shouldn’t be optimized (either entirely or just CSS or JS).
- The inactive tab is for “SpeedUp” which … speeds up the creation of uncached autoptimized files immensely.
- Other Power-Ups that are on the table are
- “Critical CSS” to enable you to define “above the fold CSS” for different types of pages (posts, pages, homepage, archives, …)
- “Whitelist” which lets you specify what JS or CSS to optimize (“known good”), making sure unknown code is never autoptimized
- “HTTP/2” which will have logic to take the most advantage of what HTTP/2 has to offer, although (part of) this might go into AO proper.
Next steps for me; register my “secondary activity as independent” (as I still have an official day-time job), get in touch with an accountant, decide on EDD vs Freemius, set up shop on optimizingmatters.com (probably including bbpress for support) and determine pricing (thinking a Euro/month actually for each PowerUp, what do you think?).
Exiting times ahead …
Zet een piano in een station en je hoort vooral amuzikaal geklooi van een hoop balorige tieners. Tot één van hen echt begint te spelen (ik denk uit “The Piano”, beluister hieronder) en dan wordt iedereen stil. Kippenvel!