Category Archives: autoptimize

Small experiment; Autoptimize with page cache

So I integrated a page cache (based on KeyCDN Cache Enabler) in Autoptimize, just to see how easy (or difficult) it would be. Turns out it was pretty easy, mostly because Cache Enabler (based on Cachify, which was very popular in Germany until the developer abandoned it) is well-written, simple and efficient. :-)

No plans to release this though. Or do you think I should?

Sucuri, TTFB and Google ranking

Sucuri writes about their pov on performance:

We focus on useful metrics to optimize speed, like total time, not first byte or server response time.

Whereas Neil Patel writes:

When you’re in the weeds of optimizing your site speed, play smart. Instead of trying hard to push down your document complete, start rendering, or fully loaded page load time metrics (all of which are important), focus on the highest-impact metric first: TTFB.

Where TTFB = time to first byte. Needless to say I’m with Neil on this!

Loading webfonts just for a title? Switch to SVG instead.

So I wanted to replace a site’s (*) main title which required some fancy font (Courgette!) to be downloaded, by an SVG image.

Here’s what I did;

  1. make a screenshot of the node in Firefox Developer Tools -> Inspector -> select node -> click “screenshot node” in context menu
  2. convert the png-file into svg at http://pngtosvg.com/ result being a 6.93KB file.
  3. optimize the svg at http://petercollingridge.appspot.com/svg-optimiser resulting in a 3.1KB file (see above image) which remains crispy at whatever size.
  4. added the SVG as background image (not inline though, might do that next) and set “visibility” of the logo->a->h3 (which has the title in it as text) to “hidden”
  5. ticked Autoptimize’s “remove Google Fonts”-option (which also removed a slew of other unwanted requests for fonts)

(*) The site is my wife’s boeken-jagers.be which is an offspring of her successful “De Boekenjagers” Facebook group where people hide books for others to find (hunt) and share info about that. 27 000 members and counting, proud of my Veerleken!

Quick heads-up: Autoptimize 2.1.2 and 2.2.1 release, includes security fix

[Updated 23/06 to reflect newer versions 2.1.2 and 2.2.1]

Heads-up: Autoptimize 2.2 has just been released with a slew of new features (see changelog) and an important security-fix. Do upgrade as soon as possible.

If you prefer not to upgrade to 2.2 (because you prefer the stability of 2.1.0), you can instead download 2.1.2, which is identical to 2.1.0 except that the security fix has been backported.

I’ll follow up on the new features and on the security issue in more detail later today/ tomorrow.

Autoptimize 2.2 coming your way, care to test?

So work on Autoptimize 2.2 is almost finished and I need your help testing this version before releasing (targeting May, but that depends on you!). The more people I have testing, the faster I might be able to push this thing out and there’s a lot to look forward to;

  • New option: enable/ disable AO for logged in users for all you pagebuilders out there
  • New option: enable/ disable AO for cart/ checkout pages of WooCommerce, Easy Digital Downloads & WP eCommerce
  • New minification/ caching system, significantly speeding up your site for non-cached pages (previously part of a power-up)
  • Switched to rel=preload + Filamentgroup’s loadCSS for CSS deferring
  • Additional support for HTTP/2 setups (no GUI, you might need to have a look at the API to see/ use all possibilities)
  • Important improvements to the logic of which JS/ CSS can be optimized (getPath function) increasing reliability of the aggregation process
  • Updated to a newer version of the CSS Minification component (albeit not the 3.x one, which seems a tad too fresh and which would require me to drop support for PHP 5.2 which will come but just not yet)
  • API: Lots of extra filters, making AO (even) more flexible.
  • Lots of bugfixes and smaller improvements (see GitHub commit log)

So if you want to help:

  1. Download the zip-file from Github
  2. Overwrite the contents of wp-content/plugins/autoptimize with the contents of autoptimize-master from the zip
  3. Test and if any bug (regression) create an issue in GitHub (if it doesn’t exist already).

Very much looking forward to your feedback!