Almost, but exclusively for you guys & girls;
In case you’re wondering if those Autoptimize Power-Ups are still coming and if so how they’ll look like and what they’ll do;
So some quick pointers;
- Power-Ups will be installed as separate plugins and will obviously require some sort of registration, payment and license key activation (still to be developed, will either be EDD or Freemius-based)
- Once installed, they will appear as tabs on Autoptimize’s settings page (no clutter in your menu’s!)
- You can actually see 2 Power-Up-tabs in this screenshot;
- the active one is “Noptimize” and will allow you to configure which URL’s shouldn’t be optimized (either entirely or just CSS or JS).
- The inactive tab is for “SpeedUp” which … speeds up the creation of uncached autoptimized files immensely.
- Other Power-Ups that are on the table are
- “Critical CSS” to enable you to define “above the fold CSS” for different types of pages (posts, pages, homepage, archives, …)
- “Whitelist” which lets you specify what JS or CSS to optimize (“known good”), making sure unknown code is never autoptimized
- “HTTP/2” which will have logic to take the most advantage of what HTTP/2 has to offer, although (part of) this might go into AO proper.
Next steps for me; register my “secondary activity as independent” (as I still have an official day-time job), get in touch with an accountant, decide on EDD vs Freemius, set up shop on optimizingmatters.com (probably including bbpress for support) and determine pricing (thinking a Euro/month actually for each PowerUp, what do you think?).
Exiting times ahead …
So I’m currently working on “power-ups” for Autoptimize, which I might commercialize later this year. Some examples of functionality I’m developing;
- Excluding specific parts of your site from optimization (JS+CSS+HTML, JS-only or CSS-only), all from a simple configuration-screen
- A settings-page to configure “above-the-fold”-CSS for specific pages
- A power-up to speed up optimization itself (especially interesting if you don’t have a page caching plugin)
Drop me a line If you’re interested in beta-testing these power-ups, with a small description of where you would run this beta.