Now I just “discovered” that the Mozilla team have rendered that somewhat clumsy procedure -which required me to log in each time I restarted my computer or browser- redundant with their “Firefox Multi-Account Containers” add-on, allowing you to contain entire sessions to one (or more) tabs;
So now I have one browser window with a couple of tabs in the Google container, one tab in a Facebook container and all others in the “default” container where Google & Facebook can’t track me (fingerprinting aside, but there’s an option for that).
So I love Firefox’ quantum leap, huge improvement, but the way they’re plugging Pocket was bugging me. I ended up diving under the hood (as in about:config) and setting extensions.pocket.enabled to “false” seems to hide Pocket nicely. Now back to work!
Customer: I wish to complain about this here fox what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique. Shopkeeper: Oh yes, uh, Firefox OS …What’s,uh…What’s wrong with it? Customer: I’ll tell you what’s wrong with it, my lad. It’s dead, that’s what’s wrong with it! Shopkeeper: No, no, ‘e’s uh,…it’s resting. Customer: Look, matey, I know a dead fox when I see one, and I’m looking at one right now. Shopkeeper: No no it’s not dead, it’s restin’! Remarkable software, Firefox OS, idn’it, ay? Beautiful openness!
Just read an article on BBC News that starts of with the AdBlock Plus team winning another case in a German court (yeay) and ended with a report on how Firefox also has built-in tracking protection which -for now- is off by default and is somewhat hidden. To enable it, just open about:config and set privacy.trackingprotection.enabled to true. I disabled Ghostery for now, let’s see how how things go from here.
addons.xpi WARN Error loading bootstrap.js for lessChrome.HD@prospector.labs.mozilla: TypeError: redeclaration of variable event (resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///home/frank/.mozilla/firefox/jy6bws91.default/extensions/lessChrome.HD@prospector.labs.mozilla.xpi!/bootstrap.js:226:8)
A quick look at the source code confirmed “event” was declared twice, once on line 210 and a second time on line 226. The fix, obviously, is simple; on lines 226-228 replace all references to “event” with e.g. “shownEvent”;
let shownEvent = document.createEvent("Event"); shownEvent.initEvent("LessChromeShown", true, false); trigger.dispatchEvent(shownEvent);
You can do this yourself by unzipping “lessChrome.HD@prospector.labs.mozilla.xpi” in your extenstions-folder, editing boostrap.js and updating the xpi. Or you could wait for the Mozillians to update LessChromeHD.