I’m not a Gutenberg specialist (for from it, really) but:
the wrong way is adding JS with wp-block/ wp-element and other gutenberg dependencies on init calling wp_enqueue_script,
the right way is either hooking into enqueue_block_editor_assets (see https://jasonyingling.me/enqueueing-scripts-and-styles-for-gutenberg-blocks/)
or when using init doing wp_register_script and then register_block_type referring to the correct editor_script previously registered (see https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/handbook/designers-developers/developers/tutorials/block-tutorial/writing-your-first-block-type/).
I’ve tried both of these on a “bad” plugin and can confirm both solutions do prevent those needless wp-includes/js/dist/* JS-files from being added on the front-end.
So dear plugin-developer-friends; when adding Gutenberg blocks please differentiate between editor access and visitor access, only enqueue JS/ CSS if needed to display your blocks and when registering for front-end please please frigging please don’t declare wp-blocks, wp-element, … and all of those other editor goodies as dependencies unless your 100% sure this is needed (which will almost never be the case).
The performance optimization crowd will thank you for being considerate and -more likely- will curse you if you are not!
It took a lot of time for WP YouTube Lyte to get there, but we finally got to 20 000 active installs, and to celebrate that occasion I release a long overdue update (1.7.6), with the following improvements;
extra parameters for shortcode (start, showinfo, stepsize and hqthumb).
also turn youtube-nocookie.com iframes into LYTE’s as proposed by Maxim.
also remove cached thumbnails when clearing cache.
also set image in noscript tag to local hosted thumbnail if that option is active.
And in case you’re wonder, this how a LYTE video looks like;
Thom Yorke – Unmade (Live from Electric Lady Studios)
Update 4th Feb: the HTML minify bug was fixed in W3TC v. 0.9.7.2, released a couple of days ago.
Update 19th Feb: I’m still seeing issues caused by W3TC, seems like not all is fixed fully yet.
Quick heads-up for users that have both W3 Total Cache and Autoptimize installed; the latest W3TC update (version 0.9.7.1) introduces a nasty bug in the HTML minifier which also impacts Autoptimize as that uses the same minifier class (Minify_HTML, part of Mr. Clay’s Minify). When W3TC is running the Minify_HTML class is loaded by and from W3TC, meaning AO’s autoload does not have to load the Minify_HTML from AO proper (which does not have that problem).