I’m spending some of the last hours of 2012 as a preparation for one of my 2013 resolutions; a new version of WP YouTube Lyte that will be fully responsive. I just finished a “template” (i.e. plain static HTML + CSS, not integrated in the plugin yet) which I’m pretty happy with.
- A responsive player which in this test-case means a width of 820, shrinking when needed. The default width will remain an option.
- Closer to current YouTube look & feel with a black play button that becomes red on hover
- All player chrome loaded from just one image sprite (2 images in current, non-responsive version)
- Embedded microformat data for better search engine discovery (will probably be configurable, “off” by default)
- Works on all browsers (although e.g. positioning the play-button without CSS3 calc in e.g. IE8 and below is less precise)
You can check out the template on http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9207036/new_lyte_test.html. Feel free to give feedback on this early test-implementation.